"There is a Chair for Every Child at St. Patrick's"
School of Sanctuary
Our School of Sanctuary Award bid is being led by Mrs. Smith.
At St Patrick's, we are committed to ensuring that all staff, children and members of our school community understand the struggles and challenges faced by refugees and asylum seekers. We aim to welcome families of all backgrounds into our community and provide a place of sanctuary for any families who have had to flee their homes for many different reasons.
Our mission statement, 'Christ with me as I learn, grow and shine' demonstrates our ongoing commitment to ensuring that all children in our school are nurtured for their talents and personalities. With Christ's teachings as our guide, we are able to support, pray for and commit ourselves to ensuring we support people seeking refuge in the local area.
By achieving 'School of Sanctuary' status and ensuring that we work closely with the Preston City of Sanctuary team, we are are able to educate the children that we teach to ensure that they are accepting and welcoming of the increasingly diverse community that we serve.
What is a School of Sanctuary?
Schools of Sanctuary is a growing network with more than 380 primary and secondary schools all committed to supporting the thousands of young people seeking sanctuary in the UK, creating a culture of welcome, and raising awareness of the issues faced by refugees and asylum seekers.
Driven by teachers, school staff, parents, governors and community groups, the School of Sanctuary network supports the thousands of young people seeking sanctuary in the UK, raising awareness of the issues facing people in the asylum system, challenging misconceptions and building social cohesion.
This growing network is supported by the umbrella organisation City of Sanctuary UK (CoS UK).
The City of Sanctuary UK
The City of Sanctuary UK organisation and its networks are guided and informed by a commitment to the following values:
- Inclusiveness: We welcome and respect people from all backgrounds and place the highest value on diversity and are committed to equality.
- Openness: We are committed to a culture of working collaboratively within the network and in partnership with others.
- Participation: Those who support our vision, work together with people seeking sanctuary. We value and recognise the contribution of all involved. We aspire to ensure people seeking sanctuary are fully involved in decision-making processes and supported to become leaders within the City of Sanctuary organisation and network as well as the wider movement.
- Inspiration: We work with enthusiasm and positivity and are determined to surpass what has already been achieved to welcome refugees and people seeking sanctuary. We act as a catalyst for change by being open to new and innovative ideas and through sharing knowledge gained with others and working in partnership.
- Integrity: We aspire to high standards of honesty and behaviour, and always act in the interests of people seeking sanctuary.